Dress, Law and Naked Truth: A Cultural Study of Fashion and Form (The WISH List)
$42.95 (as of March 17, 2019, 4:04 pm) & FREE Shipping.
Why are civil authorities in so-referred to as liberal democracies affronted by public nudity and the Islamic full-face ‘veil’? Why is law and civil order so closely associated with robes, gowns, suits, wigs and uniforms? Why is law so all in favour of the ‘evident’ and the need for justice to be ‘seen’ to be done? Why do we dress and obey dress codes at all? On this, the first ever study devoted to the many deep cultural connections between dress and law, the creator addresses these questions and more. His responses float from the radical thesis that ‘law is dress and get dressed is law’.
Engaging with sources from The Epic of Gilgamesh to Shakespeare, Carlyle, Dickens and Damien Hirst, Professor Watt draws a revealing history of dress and civil order and offers challenging conclusions concerning the nature of truth and the potential of individuals to fit inside the types of civil life.
|Number Of Items|
|Number Of Pages|
- The Fashion Sketchpad: 420 Figure Templates for Designing Looks and Building Your Portfolio
$18.95(as of March 17, 2019, 3:04 pm) & FREE Shipping.Save $5.00 when you spend $20.00 or more on offered by Amazon.com. Enter code NOVBOOK18 at checkout.Your coupon will be applied at amazon checkout. Details
Coupons available for this offerView more couponsThe Fashion Sketchpad: 420 Figure Templates for Designing Looks and Building Your PortfolioSave $5.00 when you spend $20.00 or more on offered by Amazon.com. Enter code NOVBOOK18 at checkout.
- Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) November 25, 2018.
- Offer only applies to products shipped and sold by Amazon.com (look for "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party
sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even
if "fulfilled by Amazon.com" or "Prime Eligible".
- Offer does not apply to digital content or subscriptions.
- Offer good while supplies last.
- Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted and free promotional items.
- Items must be purchased in a single order and shipped at the same speed to a single address.
- Offer limited to one per customer and account.
- Taxes, shipping and handling, and gift wrap charges do not apply when determining minimum purchase amount.
- The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $5.
- Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.
- Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
- If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
- Unless an Amazon Gift Card is the stated benefit of the promotion, promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- Enter promo code NOVBOOK18 at checkout to qualify.
- More Info
- Coco Chanel: The Illustrated World of a Fashion Icon Hardcover – October 13, 2015
- $16.96 (as of March 17, 2019, 3:15 pm)
- Buy product